Leaving the 99 on Route 23
The Lord has been my shepherd, but lately I've felt harassed and helpless,
Wanting something I can't even put into words.
I'm feeling too anxious to lie down in the green,
I've wandered far from still waters,
And the restoration of my soul seems doubtful at best.
The shadow of death doesn't linger;
Instead it's the shadow of a slow march to oblivion,
Dying inside little by little without the hope of dying all at once.
I'm not afraid of evil;
I'm afraid of myself and afraid I'll never feel what I once felt again.
Are you with me?
I want to believe you are, but I feel so alone.
I don't need a rod and a staff;
I need someone to wrap their arms around me and tell me everything is gonna be all right.
I need it to not be a lie.
I'm sitting at the table looking for my enemies, but all I see is me.
To my right I see my own crippling sense of self-doubt.
To my left I see a funhouse mirror version of my body that looks like a beached whale.
Before me I see my anger, wearing a face of self-loathing under a mask of serenity.
The oil flows over me and the weight of it drags me down.
It runs into my mouth, filling my lungs so I can't breathe.
I hide behind the sheen, hoping they'll see you and not me.
I look into my cup, and even on my best days it never looks more than half-full;
Does it count as an overflow if there's a hole in the bottom?
I look behind me, but I don't see goodness or mercy.
I see the same enemies from the table, joined by my depression and anxiety,
Followed close behind by shame and regret.
I run to your house crying out for sanctuary.
I wonder if I'll ever find my way back to the 99.
Wanting something I can't even put into words.
I'm feeling too anxious to lie down in the green,
I've wandered far from still waters,
And the restoration of my soul seems doubtful at best.
The shadow of death doesn't linger;
Instead it's the shadow of a slow march to oblivion,
Dying inside little by little without the hope of dying all at once.
I'm not afraid of evil;
I'm afraid of myself and afraid I'll never feel what I once felt again.
Are you with me?
I want to believe you are, but I feel so alone.
I don't need a rod and a staff;
I need someone to wrap their arms around me and tell me everything is gonna be all right.
I need it to not be a lie.
I'm sitting at the table looking for my enemies, but all I see is me.
To my right I see my own crippling sense of self-doubt.
To my left I see a funhouse mirror version of my body that looks like a beached whale.
Before me I see my anger, wearing a face of self-loathing under a mask of serenity.
The oil flows over me and the weight of it drags me down.
It runs into my mouth, filling my lungs so I can't breathe.
I hide behind the sheen, hoping they'll see you and not me.
I look into my cup, and even on my best days it never looks more than half-full;
Does it count as an overflow if there's a hole in the bottom?
I look behind me, but I don't see goodness or mercy.
I see the same enemies from the table, joined by my depression and anxiety,
Followed close behind by shame and regret.
I run to your house crying out for sanctuary.
I wonder if I'll ever find my way back to the 99.
Comments
Post a Comment