If It Had Not Been The Lord on Our Side

All throughout scripture
The party line has always been
God is at work in ways you can't see.
I've been disappointed a lot in life,
So I think I've taken that a step further:
I try to live my life as though I'll be okay
Whether or not you do anything.

The Psalmist says 
"If The Lord hadn't been there,
Just think about how much worse it could have been!"
As he gestures to the widespread devastation and destruction.
Just think how much harder everything would be 
If God wasn't around to lower the difficulty level
From insurmountable to extreme.

I don't mean to complain.
Despite my struggles I am truly blessed
Beyond anything I might hope to deserve.
Every time I hurl my laments towards the heavens
I can't help but wonder 
Whether I'm a Job with a legitimate complaint,
Or a Jonah wishing God was as petty as I am.

The enemies have come,
The creek done rose,
And though I find myself bedraggled and wet,
Bruised and battered, 
I am still on my feet.
The powerful play goes on,
And it remains to be seen how the story ends.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clobbered

Billionaires

Hypocrite