When I Look In Your Eyes
When I look in your eyes I see home:
A nebulous concept entangled in the power of your presence.
I hold you close and know that I am safe;
Home is in your arms and holding you in mine.
When I look in your eyes I see a girl:
Seventeen and afraid her braces will show when she smiles.
I remember the excitement of young love:
The first time I held your hand and it felt like my heart would beat out of my chest.
The first time we kissed and the world was swallowed up in rapturous joy.
Being in love for the first time and being overjoyed with life.
When I look in your eyes I see the woman I married:
Barely old enough to drink but drunk on love.
Both of us enamored in the ecstasy of being together forever,
Neither one of us knowing what that meant.
We were young and poor and foolish enough to believe in things we didn't understand.
When I hold you in my arms I know the mother of my children:
I think back to sleepless nights, tossing and turning,
Your stomach roiling and your body in agony.
I remember the incredible love that created such wonderful children
Who taught me what love really meant.
You remember cankles and stretch marks and struggling through the day;
I remember an incredible goddess who radiated life with strength and grace.
When I look in your eyes I see the pain of loss,
Holding you while we wept over a child that would never be,
Or over the loss of life too young, or the pain of regrets,
Or one of the countless times my brain refused to give me peace,
Lost in the drifting chaos of sadness without a rational origin,
Finding in your embrace a lighthouse to guide me to shore.
When I look in your eyes I see love looking back at me.
Comments
Post a Comment