What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

 Cliches and platitudes like 

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Are often used to celebrate our survival.

Trauma came for my life, 

It tried its best, but I'm still here. 

But, a more accurate version might be to say

"What doesn't kill you makes you harder."


Harder can be stronger. 

Hardening can be used to strengthen

A person just like it strengthens steel. 

But, just like the steel, 

A hardened person is more brittle.

Life has bent us, and in learning not to be bent

We have also made ourselves easier to break. 


My scars are a part of who I am.

I like who I am and wouldn't wish my scars away. 

But scars are still scars. 

Each of them tells of a defeat

That tried to break me 

As much as a victory in overcoming. 

I'm harder, and that hardness cuts both ways. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clobbered

Billionaires

Hypocrite