Doubt
Descartes said, "Cogito, Ergo Sum,"
But doubts don't bring me
To the certainty of my existence.
Rather they drive me to the fringes
Of feeling so very lost and alone.
I doubt, therefore I wonder why?
Why am I here, struggling against
An endless deluge of questions and
Finding myself more and more convinced
That the answers aren't there,
Or at least they don't exist until you create them.
I doubt, therefore I worry the love
I feel from the people in my life
Could never shine bright enough
To overwhelm the darkness that would envelop me
If I followed my heart in the directions it wants to lead:
Away from faith, away from comfort and tradition,
Out into the eternal and unknown realm of "what if?"
I doubt, therefore I feel unworthy.
I doubt, therefore I torture myself with insecurity.
I doubt, therefore I doubt myself.
But doubts don't bring me
To the certainty of my existence.
Rather they drive me to the fringes
Of feeling so very lost and alone.
I doubt, therefore I wonder why?
Why am I here, struggling against
An endless deluge of questions and
Finding myself more and more convinced
That the answers aren't there,
Or at least they don't exist until you create them.
I doubt, therefore I worry the love
I feel from the people in my life
Could never shine bright enough
To overwhelm the darkness that would envelop me
If I followed my heart in the directions it wants to lead:
Away from faith, away from comfort and tradition,
Out into the eternal and unknown realm of "what if?"
I doubt, therefore I feel unworthy.
I doubt, therefore I torture myself with insecurity.
I doubt, therefore I doubt myself.
Comments
Post a Comment