Yeast of the Pharisees

 I've never been able to stand a hypocrite, 

But that's probably in part because I'm afraid to admit

The ways that my actions defy my belief

And honestly somedays I think it would be a relief

To be exposed as what I am on the inside

To give up the running and not have to hide.


But a Christian is supposed to be perfect and strong,

And pastors know the words to every song

Even if the meaning they carry is fading away

And their mask is slipping more every day

Because people are supposed to be able to rely on their shepherd

Even on days he feels harassed and helpless. 


Maybe that's the secret of the self-righteous Pharisee;

Their holiness is a myth hiding what they can't bare to be

Known by the people they try to impress

So they keep ignoring the weight on their chest

Of sin and secrets and hidden failures buried deep.

If we were honest Jesus wouldn't be the only one to weep. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clobbered

Billionaires

Hypocrite