Semicolon

There are days where I don't want to get out of bed,
Where all I want to do is cry and eat;
I don't remember entering through The Gates of Hell
But I abandoned hope anyway;
My story felt like a success because my depression was under control; 
My story felt like a victory because I'd found love and joy;
My story felt like a happily ever after
Because I could look in the mirror and like who I saw;

But then the boat started to sink;
I tried to correct course but we were dashed upon the rocks; 
I tried to swim for safety but I couldn't see dry land anywhere;
By the time the rain stopped, I had no idea where I was;
I wasn't in immediate danger anymore, but I'd been afraid and struggling for so long
That the weight of anything felt insurmountable;
I didn't feel strong enough to survive;
I was stuck in depression again.

But I don't have to stay stuck. 
I can keep fighting and find my way forward. 
I can do the hard work of self-care and self-improvement. 
I can tell my demons to shut the fuck up and sit down,
Because they're not in charge anymore. 
I will hold myself to a higher standard.
I will give myself grace when I fail. 

I will challenge the voice inside myself that says all of the worst things are true.
I will listen to the voice inside myself that says I am worthy of love and consideration.
I will work hard, and I will love my family,
And that will happen by showing love and kindness to someone they love.
I will believe in the power of change to change me for the better.
I will ignore the voice of hunger: 
The need to consume will not consume me. 
I will be the me I deserve to be, and I will believe I deserve to be him. 
I will love myself fiercely. 
I will be kind and gracious to me. 
I will move forward and write another chapter;
Hope is coming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clobbered

Billionaires

Hypocrite