My Own Personal Jesus
My own personal Jesus
Is conveniently shaped to fit exactly where I want him to,
Free of any rough edges that might rub up against
The walls of the box where I've placed him and cause discomfort.
He only judges the people I want him to,
Only denounces the things I don't like,
And bends his own words to whatever shape is needed to keep me from having to change.
He's not much into evangelism.
He looks and sounds enough like the real Jesus it's easy to mistake them for one another at a glance.
He's as comfortable as your favorite well-worn recliner,
And equally hard to get away from.
He says and does the right things often enough
It's easy to forget he's not the real Jesus,
And he's so likeable it's hard to make him go away once he's moved in.
My own personal Jesus
Goes along anywhere I want to take him,
And he'll never complain about the places you stay longer than you should.
He's a warm blanket you can wrap around yourself and feel righteous,
And he's so good at making you feel better
It's easy to forget his advice (your advice) is the reason everything went wrong.
He's joyful, kind, compassionate, and a great listener.
He never does the wrong thing,
But he's willing to shrug it off when you do.
He'll fill any role in your life you'd like to give him;
Just don't be surprised if those are the places where the real Jesus stops showing up.
Is conveniently shaped to fit exactly where I want him to,
Free of any rough edges that might rub up against
The walls of the box where I've placed him and cause discomfort.
He only judges the people I want him to,
Only denounces the things I don't like,
And bends his own words to whatever shape is needed to keep me from having to change.
He's not much into evangelism.
He looks and sounds enough like the real Jesus it's easy to mistake them for one another at a glance.
He's as comfortable as your favorite well-worn recliner,
And equally hard to get away from.
He says and does the right things often enough
It's easy to forget he's not the real Jesus,
And he's so likeable it's hard to make him go away once he's moved in.
My own personal Jesus
Goes along anywhere I want to take him,
And he'll never complain about the places you stay longer than you should.
He's a warm blanket you can wrap around yourself and feel righteous,
And he's so good at making you feel better
It's easy to forget his advice (your advice) is the reason everything went wrong.
He's joyful, kind, compassionate, and a great listener.
He never does the wrong thing,
But he's willing to shrug it off when you do.
He'll fill any role in your life you'd like to give him;
Just don't be surprised if those are the places where the real Jesus stops showing up.
Comments
Post a Comment