Losing My Religion

I shouldn’t be surprised.
History is full of examples of people of genuine conviction
Starting movements with the best of intentions
That begin to collapse under the weight of their own power
After long years removed from the source of their mission.
Even the biblical story of God’s relationship with humanity
Moves in cycles of renewal, rebellion, remonstration, and revival.
Sometimes even our most beloved institutions and symbols
Move beyond the possibility of renovation and restoration,
Leaving us no choice but to tear them down.

I shouldn’t take it personally.
Even with all the pain of the last few years
I honestly believe that most of the people I know and love
Advocating for ideals I believe to be monstrous
Are earnestly trying to do what they feel is right,
Hoping for the brightest possible future for themselves
And the people they love,
Scared by how quickly the world is changing.
Worried about the legacy they’ll leave behind
If the world leaves them behind.

But, I am deeply bereaved.
Dismayed by the hate I see all around me
For the people who don’t fit into
A white nationalistic fundamentalist vision
Of an America where flags are wrapped in bibles,
Guns are engraved with Scriptures,
And all our empty idols of Patriotism and Consumption
Drown out the still, small voice of a God
Who loves all the people we’d rather hate.
Christ told us not to worry, but my anxiety
Is ringing doomsday klaxons in my brain 24/7,
And my depression has me so weighed down
That putting one foot in front of the other
Feels like a Herculean task.

I should feel right at home not feeling at home in this world.
Scripture tells us that we are wanderers in a strange land;
That this world is not our home.
Jesus never rejected the God the Pharisees claimed:
He called him Father and endeavored to show them
A more excellent way.
To bind up the wounded, heal the brokenhearted,
And announce the kingdom beholden to no powers or nation
Where all are welcome and God reigns in love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clobbered

Billionaires

Hypocrite