Placeholder
I tried to talk to God today.
But the words? They wouldn't come out.
Does it mean that my faith is DOA
If I can't find any words to say?
Can't entreat or pray or shout.
Wouldn't have thought to try and prepare
For a day when my voice just wasn't there
To ask for a blessing, forgiveness, or hope;
To cry out for mercy at the end of my rope.
There's no pain or sadness or anything.
Just a hole where there wasn't before.
Or maybe the hole has been there for years
And the last of my hope just leaked out.
Not that it matters with bills to pay
And kids to insure and a house to maintain.
I can't wonder whether God is real
If invoking him pays for their next meal.
No matter how fucking depressed I feel,
For their sake I'll just continue to deal.
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad
That it's my job to peddle something I can't have.
Like a wine seller allergic to grapes
Or a bee who hates pollen;
No matter how I feel, I'm all in.
Hopefully the next time I need to talk to God
I can fake it and make it through.
Maybe someday I'll want to pray
And my heart will still know what to do.
Comments
Post a Comment