The Poisoned Well of Evangelism

I want to tell the world about Jesus,
But not the one who has hurt them.
Not the Jesus who condemns the gays
Or the one who demands you "turn or burn."
Not the Prosperity Gospel Jesus
Who blesses the billionaires
Or the one who upholds the patriarchy.
I'm sick of gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
Infantilized as a forever child. 

Give me the Jesus who drives out moneychangers
With arms open wide to sinners and strangers.
I want to talk about the Jesus who loves the poor,
But you've already slammed the door
Because a pastor told you once you were going to hell
For sins he'd probably committed as well. 
Jesus is heralded by people he doesn't recognize
Who are afraid of hell or need to feel superior
To all the poor, lost sinners worse than them.

God so loved the world he sent his only Son
Not to condemn, but to save. 
To preach forgiveness, grace, and love of neighbor. 
To condemn the hypocrites desperate for power. 
To trust us with spreading the message far and wide;
To love us so much he willingly died.
I want to tell the world about a Jesus
Who isn't here to threaten you with damnation.
A Jesus who saves and sanctifies
with love for all of creation. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clobbered

Billionaires

Hypocrite