Woe is Me, For I Am Undone!

Like Jonah outside the gates of Nineveh,
I hear a desperate sinner cry out for mercy. 
Like Jonah, I'd rather he not be forgiven. 
A white supremacist, 
Spouting bigotry and misogyny,
Swastikas and confederate flags on arms gone frail.
A body dying, slowly,
Flesh wasting away alongside his dignity. 

He was scared.
I was scared, too. 
Scared what it might mean
To walk him down the Romans road
Or teach him his ABCs.

He'd already admitted he was a sinner needing a savior;
He was struggling to believe.
He needed to confess.
He felt the weight of his sins and his hate,
Buckling under the burden of his guilt. 
Just like Jonah I was struggling to find mercy.
Is God's grace big enough even for this?

Before I could refuse to bear witness to him, 
He bore witness to me. 
I saw the face of Christ, emaciated and terrified. 
I felt the warmth of his love radiating
From behind sunken eyes.

Damascus. 
I fell to my knees and declared myself unworthy. 
Then the coal touched my lips and I knew.
I knew God's compassion was there.
I knew forgiveness was at hand. 
It was the last time we spoke,
But someday we'll meet again.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clobbered

Billionaires

Hypocrite